- 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 5 to 6 medium)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a saucepan, combine the apples, water and lemon juice; cook over medium-low heat just until the apples are tender. Remove from the heat and cool (do not drain).
- In a large bowl, combine the sugars, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt; add apples and toss to coat. Place bottom pastry in pie plate; add apple mixture. Cover with top pastry; seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top crust.
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 35-45 minutes longer or until golden brown.
1 piece: 496 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 314mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.