- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups refrigerated unsweetened coconut milk
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dairy-free margarine, softened
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk coconut milk, sugar, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat margarine until light and fluffy. Beat in confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla. Frost cupcakes.
Vegan Vanilla Cupcake Tips
How do you make vegan cupcakes?
To make vegan cupcakes, you will need to find dairy substitutes for butter and milk. For this recipe, we used dairy-free margarine in place of butter and coconut milk instead of traditional milk. From there, prepare and bake vegan cupcakes the same as traditional cupcakes. Don’t miss our top 10 vegan desserts for more sweet vegan-friendly recipes.
Do vegan cupcakes need to be refrigerated?
No, vegan cupcakes do not need to be refrigerated. You can if you’d like, but you can also store them at room temperature. Both will keep for up to three days in an airtight container.
1 cupcake: 255 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.