- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose or 00 flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and marjoram, optional
- 1/3 cup vegetable or olive oil
- In a small bowl, mix warm water and 1 teaspoon sugar; add yeast and whisk until dissolved. Let stand until bubbles form on surface. In a large bowl, whisk 3 cups flour, salt, remaining 1 teaspoon sugar and if desired, dried herbs. Make a well in center; add yeast mixture and oil. Stir until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead, adding more flour to surface as needed until no longer sticky and dough is smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a large greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes; transfer bowl to refrigerator and chill overnight. Allow dough to come to room temperature before rolling, about 30 minutes.
Test Kitchen tip
1 piece: 144 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.