- 2 medium limes
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, stems removed (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Thai red chile pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1 head Chinese or napa cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 small head red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 English cucumber, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Finely grate enough zest from limes to measure 1 tablespoon. Cut limes crosswise in half; squeeze juice from limes. Place zest and juice in a blender; add cilantro, sugar, red chile pepper, garlic, salt and pepper. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbages, cucumber, edamame, avocados, carrots and green onions. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat.
Test Kitchen tips
Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
1 cup: 271 calories, 23g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 69mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.