- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 log (4 ounces) fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup finely chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- Pastry for a single-crust pie (9 inches) or refrigerated pie crust
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until softened, 4-5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown, 30-40 minutes. Remove from heat. Let cool slightly. Gently stir in goat cheese and tomatoes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. round biscuit cutter. Place circles 2 in. apart on baking sheets. Place 1 heaping teaspoon filling on one side of each circle. Brush edges of pastry with water; fold circles in half. With a fork, press edges to seal. Bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes.
Test Kitchen Tips
1 empanada: 99 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.