- 1 pound sweet potatoes (about 2 small)
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon bourbon or 1 tablespoon whipping cream plus 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake until tender, 40-50 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. tart pan with removable bottom. Press onto bottom and sides of pan; trim edges to edge of pan. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- Remove potatoes from oven; increase oven setting to 425°. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, remove peel and place pulp in a large bowl; beat until smooth (you will need 1 cup mashed). Add butter, brown sugar, flour, pie spice and salt; beat until blended. Beat in egg, cream and bourbon. Pour into crust. Bake on a lower oven rack 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for topping, mix butter, brown sugar and corn syrup until blended. Stir in pecans.
- Remove pie; reduce oven setting to 350°. Spoon topping evenly over pie. Bake until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 8-10 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack. Serve within 2 hours or refrigerate, covered, and serve cold.
1/2 cup pecan pieces
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons Dark Karo Syrup
2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
Mix all ingredients together in small bowl. Sprinkle over top of tart during last 15 minutes of baking.
1 piece: 477 calories, 29g fat (15g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 326mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.