- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 package (8.80 ounces) ready-to-serve long grain rice
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup water
- 6 medium bell peppers
- Minced fresh cilantro, green onions and sour cream
- In a bowl, combine chicken, rice, enchilada sauce, 1/2 cup cheese, red onion and cumin.
- Pour water into a 6-qt. slow cooker. Cut and discard tops from peppers; remove seeds. Fill with chicken mixture; place in slow cooker. Cover slow cooker with a double layer of white paper towels; place lid securely over towels. Cook on low, until tender, about 3-4 hours. During the last 20 minutes, remove and discard paper towels; add remaining cheese and cook, covered until melted. Serve with sour cream, cilantro and green onions.
Health tip: Consider switching to ready-to-serve brown rice. It has nearly six times the fiber as white rice.
Test Kitchen tips
1 stuffed pepper: 267 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 364mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.