- 1/4 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 small onion, sliced
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1/2 pound), cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Hot cooked mashed potatoes
- Place mushrooms and onion in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat; brown meat in batches, adding additional oil as needed. Transfer meat to slow cooker.
- Add wine to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in broth and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meat. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high 15-30 minutes or until gravy is thickened. Serve with mashed potatoes.
1 cup: 213 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 836mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 starch.