- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped, divided
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash Louisiana-style hot sauce
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each serving):
- 1 hoagie bun, split and toasted
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, 2 tablespoons oil, 1/2 cup onion, bread crumbs and oregano. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. With wet hands, shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on greased racks in shallow baking pans. Bake, uncovered, at 400° until no longer pink, 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute green peppers and remaining onion in remaining oil until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, mustard, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, pepper and hot sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Drain meatballs on paper towels; add to sauce and stir to coat.
- To serve immediately, for each sandwich, place four meatballs on a bun and sprinkle with cheese. Cool remaining meatballs; transfer to freezer containers. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen meatballs: Thaw in the refrigerator. Place in an ungreased shallow microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high until heated through. Prepare sandwiches as directed above.
Nutrition Facts: 1 sandwich equals 649 calories, 31 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 138 mg cholesterol, 1,369 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 36 g protein.