- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds well-trimmed boneless beef short ribs, cut into 1-1/2-in. pieces
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 cup dry red wine or additional beef stock
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 package (14 ounces) frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- BISCUIT TOPPING:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- Fresh thyme leaves
- In a shallow bowl, mix 1/2 cup flour, 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Dip short ribs in flour mixture to coat all sides; shake off excess. Press saute function on a large multi-cooker; select beef setting. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in inner pot. Brown beef in batches. Remove from insert.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil, onion, chopped carrot and celery; cook and stir until tender, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato paste and remaining 2 tablespoons flour until blended. Gradually stir in stock and wine until smooth. Return beef to inner pot; stir in poultry seasoning, bay leaf and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil.
- Lock pressure lid. Press pressure function; select custom setting. Set to long cook time (60 minutes). Start.
- Quick-release pressure. Stir in pearl onions and carrot pieces. Lock pressure lid. Press pressure function; select vegetables setting. Press timer; set to 2 minutes. Start.
- Quick-release pressure. In a small bowl, mix the first 5 biscuit topping ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Gently stir in milk (mixture will be very thick). Drop by scant 1/4 cupfuls over beef mixture. Cover with air frying lid. Press air fry function; select bake setting. Press timer; set to 13 minutes. Start. Cook until a toothpick inserted in biscuits comes out clean. Sprinkle with thyme before serving.
1 serving: 543 calories, 30g fat (13g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 975mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.