- 4 pounds halved fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup turbinado (washed raw) sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place strawberries on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar and toss to coat. Bake until just tender, 35-40 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, grease a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition (batter may appear curdled).
- Transfer to prepared pan. Top with 3 cups roasted strawberries; sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Reserve remaining strawberries for serving. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Serve with reserved roasted strawberries.
Test Kitchen tips
1 piece: 235 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 329mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.