- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons almond extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, finely chopped
- FILLING :
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup red raspberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in oil and extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt and baking powder; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; press one side into chopped almonds. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets, almond side up. Flatten to 1/4-in. thickness with bottom of a glass.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool on pans 5 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and extract until smooth. Place rounded teaspoonfuls of filling on bottoms of half of the cookies. Make an indentation in center of each; fill with 1/4 teaspoon preserves. Cover with remaining cookies. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
1 sandwich cookie: 216 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 125mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.