- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, 3-4 minutes.
- Add black beans, tomatoes, broth, pumpkin and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cream; heat through. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through, stirring occasionally; add broth if necessary.
1 cup: 221 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 608mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 6g protein.