- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 beef shanks (14 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine or beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- In a large shallow dish, combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Pat beef dry with paper towels. Add beef to dish, one piece at a time; turn to coat.
- In a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker, select saute setting and adjust for high heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter and 1-1/2 teaspoons oil; brown three beef shanks. Remove from pressure cooker; add 1/4 cup wine, stirring to loosen browned bits. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, broth, vegetables, seasonings and remaining salt. Return browned beef shanks to cooker; pour in half of tomato mixture.
- Lock lid; make sure vent is closed. Select manual setting; adjust pressure to high and set time for 40 minutes. When finished cooking, allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick-release any remaining pressure according to manufacturer’s directions. Remove meat and vegetables from pressure cooker; keep warm. Make second batch with remaining ingredients, repeating previous procedure.
- After removing all meat and vegetables, discard bay leaves. Skim fat from cooking juices. Select saute setting and adjust for high heat. Bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine gremolata ingredients. Serve beef with gremolata and sauce.
Test Kitchen tips