- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 cup julienned soft sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere or fontina cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- Minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large heavy saucepan, bring broth and water to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle boil; slowly whisk in cornmeal. Cook and stir until thickened and cornmeal is tender, 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion and mushrooms until tender, 4-5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Mix eggs, Gruyere cheese and salt; stir into polenta. Spread half of the mixture into a greased 11×7-in. baking dish. Top with vegetable mixture. Drop ricotta cheese by tablespoonfuls over top. Spread with remaining polenta.
- Bake, uncovered, until edges are lightly browned, 25-30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with parsley.
1 serving: 304 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 605mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat.