- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into thin strips
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco or shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 6 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- Optional toppings: refried beans, sliced avocado, sour cream and minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, saute onion and jalapeno in oil until tender. Add tortilla strips; cook 3 minutes longer. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, salt and pepper. Add to skillet; cook and stir until almost set. Stir in cheese and tomato.
- Serve in flour tortillas with toppings of your choice.
Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
2 each: 424 calories, 21g fat (5g saturated fat), 295mg cholesterol, 821mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.