- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender flowers
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, lavender and lemon zest. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 1-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake until bottoms are light brown, 9-11 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Store in airtight containers. Freeze option: Freeze cookies in freezer containers, separating layers with waxed paper. To use, thaw before serving.
Look for dried lavender flowers in spice shops. If using lavender from the garden, make sure it hasn’t been treated with chemicals.
1 cookie: 29 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 16mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.