- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons Sriracha chili sauce
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 package broccoli coleslaw mix (12 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
- 6 hamburger buns, split or flour tortillas (8 inches)
- Fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef, red pepper and 2 green onions over medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, 6-8 minutes, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Add garlic, ginger and chili sauce; cook 1 minute longer.
- In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, 4 tablespoons vinegar, water, 1 tablespoon oil, cornstarch and brown sugar until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- For the slaw, in a large bowl, combine coleslaw mix, remaining 2 green onions, 2 tablespoons vinegar and 2 tablespoons oil; toss to coat. Spoon 1/2 cup beef mixture onto bun bottoms. Top with 1/2 cup slaw and peanuts. If desired, top with cilantro leaves. Serve remaining slaw on the side. Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add water if necessary.
1 sandwich: 461 calories, 21g fat (5g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 1299mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein.