- 2 tablespoons olive oil or ghee, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Select saute or browning setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Adjust for medium heat; add 1 tablespoon oil. When oil is hot, brown chicken. Remove. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Add onion, curry, turmeric and cumin. Cook and stir until onion is tender, 3-5 minutes. Add broth, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, ginger, garlic, sugar, chicken and salt. Press cancel.
- Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 5 minutes. Let pressure release naturally. Press cancel. Select saute setting and adjust for medium heat. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of water. Add cornstarch mixture to pot and let simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Serve in shallow bowls with rice or naan. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Test Kitchen tips