- 2 cups uncooked brown rice elbow pasta
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ancho chili pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 shredded rotisserie chicken, skin removed
- 2 green onions, chopped
- In a Dutch oven, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add red onion, ginger paste and garlic paste; saute 2 minutes. Stir in next seven ingredients; cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, 4-6 minutes. Add chicken; heat through.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta water. Return pasta to Dutch oven. Add vegetable mixture; toss to coat, adding enough reserved pasta water to moisten pasta. Sprinkle with green onions before serving.
Test Kitchen tips
1 cup: 270 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 257mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.