- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ROYAL ICING:
- 1-3/4 to 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons meringue powder
- 2 to 3 tablespoons warm water
- Blue and Violet paste food coloring
- 2 teaspoons water
- 3-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Additional confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Coarse sugar and luster dust, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the butter, sugar, molasses and vinegar; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; cool to lukewarm. Stir in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; stir into molasses mixture to form a soft dough.
- Divide dough into thirds. Shape each portion into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 5-in. snowflake cookie cutter. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- For icing, in a large bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, water and meringue powder; beat on low speed just until blended. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, 4-5 minutes. Divide in half; tint one portion light blue and the other light purple. Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.
- Using pastry bags and small round tips, ice cookies. Let stand at room temperature until icing is dry and firm, several hours. If desired, sprinkle with coarse sugar while icing is still wet. Store in an airtight container. Save remaining icing in an airtight container.
- For fondant, in a large microwave-safe bowl, combine water and marshmallows. Microwave on high for 30 seconds; stir. Microwave until completely melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds, about 30 seconds longer. Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer. Add shortening, beat until melted. Add confectioners’ sugar, beat until combined.
- Generously dust counter and hands with additional confectioners’ sugar. Turn marshmallow mixture onto counter. Knead until fondant is smooth and pliable, but not sticky, dusting hands and counter again as needed, about 6 minutes.
- Roll fondant to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with assorted snowflake-shaped cookie cutters. Adhere snowflakes to cookies with remaining icing. Let stand until set. If desired, brush with luster dust. Store in an airtight container.
1 cookie: 354 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 146mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.