- Materials needed:
- Assorted herbs and edible flowers such as mint, chamomile, pansies, nasturtiums, etc. or colored silk flowers and leaves
- Ice cubes
- Freezer tape
- Wooden skewer
- FOR LARGE BOWL: Freezer-proof glass bowlsone 1-quart bowl and one 2-1/2 quart bowl
- FOR EACH SMALL BOWL: Freezer-proof glass custard cupsone 6-ounce cup and one 10-ounce cup
- Directions: If you are using herbs and edible flowers, wash and pat dry blossoms and leaves. If you are using silk flowers and leaves, wash them gently in warm sudsy water, rinse and let the
- foliage air-dry.
- LARGE BOWL: Fill the 2-1/2-quart bowl half full with water. Arrange herbs and flowers or silk flowers and leaves to completely cover surface of the water. Place the 1-quart bowl on top of flowers so that there is about 1 inch of space between the bowls. Fill the 1-quart bowl with ice cubes and place freezer tape across both bowls to hold them in place (see Fig. 1).
- Place the taped bowls in the freezer for 30 minutes or until ice crystals form on top of the water. Using a wooden skewer, place additional herbs or leaves and flowers between the sides of the bowls (see Fig. 2). Return bowls to freezer. Checking periodically on the bowls, continue to add and reposition flowers as the water freezes. Freeze overnight. To release the 1-quart bowl, remove freezer tape and ice cubes. Fill the 1-quart bowl with lukewarm water, then remove it from the ice bowl. To remove the 2-1/2-quart bowl, dip it in warm water and twist to loosen. Return the ice bowl to the freezer until you are ready to use it.
- SMALL BOWL: Follow the procedure for filling the large bowl with water and flowers, substituting the 10-ounce custard cup for the 2-1/2-quart bowl and 6-ounce custard cup for the 1-quart bowl. Tape and freeze custard cups as directed for large bowl, adding flowers with wooden skewer as the ice forms. Freeze small
- bowl for 4-5 hours. Remove custard cups as directed for bowls and place small ice bowl in freezer until you are ready to use it.
Finished size: Large bowl is 6 inches in diameter x 3 inches tall. Small bowls are 3-1/2 inches in diameter x 1-3/4 inches tall.