- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup diced pimientos, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (32 ounces) frozen french-fried potatoes
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and green pepper; cook and stir until tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in carrot, 1/2 cup cheese, pimientos, salt and pepper until cheese is melted. Remove from heat. Place french-fried potatoes in a greased 13×9-in. baking dish; pour sauce over top. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly, 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake until cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes longer.
1 serving: 257 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 540mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.