- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional: crumbled cooked bacon and chopped green onions
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine broth, potatoes, onion, garlic and pepper. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, 6-8 hours.
- Mash potatoes to desired consistency. Whisk in cream cheese until melted. Stir in half-and-half. Cook, covered, until heated through, 5-10 minutes longer. Serve with cheese and, if desired, bacon and green onions.
1 cup: 294 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 711mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.