- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1-3/4 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons dark baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, divided
- Place oats in a large bowl. Cover with boiling water; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Combine the flours, cocoa, coffee granules, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in the oat mixture, 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1/3 cup pecans.
- Pour into a 13×9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining chips and pecans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack before cutting.
1 piece: 174 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 91mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch.