- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 pouch (6.40 ounces) light tuna in water
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, divided
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for frying
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. Transfer to a small bowl; cool.
- Stir in tuna, 1/3 cup bread crumbs, green onion, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes.
- Place remaining 1/2 cup bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Drop 1/3 cup tuna mixture into crumbs. Gently coat and shape into a 1/2-in.-thick patty. Repeat. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add tuna patties in batches; cook until golden brown, 2-3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled tuna patties in freezer containers, separating layers with waxed paper. To use, reheat tuna patties on a baking sheet in a preheated 325° oven until heated through.
1 tuna patty: 255 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 419mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.