- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 3 pounds baby red potatoes, halved
- 6 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 fresh dill sprigs
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 small navel orange
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth, warmed
- 6 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°. Peel and cut garlic into quarters. Place chicken on a cutting board. Tuck wings under chicken. With a sharp paring knife, cut 24 small slits in breasts, drumsticks and thighs. Insert garlic in slits. Tie drumsticks together.
- Place potatoes and carrots in a shallow roasting pan; top with herbs. Place chicken, breast side up, over vegetables and herbs. Cut lemon and orange in half; gently squeeze juices over chicken and vegetables. Place squeezed fruits inside chicken cavity. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Pour broth around chicken.
- Roast until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, 2 to 2-1/2 hours, sprinkling green onions over vegetables during the last 20 minutes. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.)
- Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Discard herbs. If desired, skim fat and thicken pan drippings for gravy. Serve with chicken and vegetables.
7 ounces cooked chicken with 1-1/4 cups vegetables: 561 calories, 24g fat (7g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 826mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 47g protein.