- 4-1/4 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons quick-rise yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk, room temperature, beaten
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 5 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large bowl, mix 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. In a small saucepan, heat water to 120°-130°; stir into dry ingredients. Stir in eggs and yolk, orange zest and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each half into a 12×10-in. rectangle. For filling, in a microwave, melt butter and chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Stir in confectioners’ sugar, cocoa and salt. Spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam and ends to seal.
- Using a sharp knife, cut each roll lengthwise in half; carefully turn each half cut side up. Loosely twist strips around each other, keeping cut surfaces facing up; pinch ends together to seal. Place in 2 greased 9×5-in. loaf pans, cut side up. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake until golden brown, 35-45 minutes, tenting with foil halfway through. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine sugar and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Brush over warm babka. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
1 slice: 181 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.