- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup cubed bread
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Preheat oven to 425°. On a floured surface, roll dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Trim and flute edge. Arrange bread in bottom of pie crust. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla; pour over bread. Sprinkle with nutmeg and dot with butter. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes longer. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
1 piece: 314 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 230mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.