- 5 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-3/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons dark rum or 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium bananas
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Sliced bananas and hot caramel ice cream topping, optional
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon for 4 minutes; set aside.
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat milk and cream until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the egg mixture. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a spoon. Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the rum and vanilla. Mash bananas with lemon juice; stir into the rum mixture.
- Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill the cylinder of an ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.
- If desired, top with sliced bananas and caramel topping.
1/2 cup: 198 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 183mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.