- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking grits
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free vanilla Greek yogurt
- Fresh blueberries, optional
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add apples, sugar, honey, cinnamon and vanilla; cook and stir until apples are crisp-tender, 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Preheat waffle maker. In a large bowl, whisk flour, grits, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk, ricotta, oil and vanilla until blended. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened.
- Bake waffles according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown. Serve with apple topping, yogurt and, if desired, blueberries.
1 topped waffle: 633 calories, 31g fat (8g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 709mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein.