- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1 pound maple pork sausage
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 6 cups seasoned stuffing cubes, divided
- 2 cups crushed multigrain Club Crackers (2-1/2×1 inch) (about 40 crackers)
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place squash and apples on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast until tender, about 25 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 375°.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings.
- Add sausage, celery, onions and carrots to pan; cook over medium-high heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, 10-12 minutes, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add 5 cups stuffing cubes, crackers, evaporated milk, soup, eggs, rice, sour cream, seasonings and reserved squash mixture and bacon; toss. Transfer to two greased 13×9-in. baking dishes. Lightly crush remaining 1 cup stuffing cubes. Sprinkle over tops; dot with butter.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until bubbly and lightly browned, 15-20 minutes longer.
3/4 cup: 401 calories, 26g fat (10g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 793mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein.